Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Love Clichés <3

I don't like cutting the clutter in writing. I don't like clear, concise sentences. I love long sentences, if they're nicely written; to me they convey more emotion. I love clichés, I really do with just a few exeptions. Because there is such a thing as overused clichés (Is that like the epitomy of redundancy?).

I was just reading on About.com the list of common redundancies. Is it normal that I don't get why they're so bad? In fact, I love redundancies like "added bonus", "brief summary", "empty space", and "absolutely necessary". Okay maybe "affirmative yes" IS worthy of that list... but I've never actually heard anyone say that or write it. But come on, I'm not about to stop using "Best ever"!

I was also reading on the same site, the List of Banished Words for 2007. Although I don't particularly like the word "Truthiness", how can it be on the list of Banished/Overused/Dead words for 2007 and selected just last month by Merriam-Webster as the Word of the Year?

truthiness (noun)
1 : "truth that comes from the gut, not books" (Stephen Colbert, Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," October 2005)
2 : "the quality of preferring concepts or facts one wishes to be true, rather than concepts or facts known to be true" (American Dialect Society, January 2006)

Some words that I don't think are ready to retire or be banished include : Awesome, pwned :P, i-anything (ivillage!!!), and healthy food. That last one only because as a french chick, it's much easier for me to say Healthy food (aka healty food LOL) than health food, because I often have a hard time pronouncing words that end with 'th' hehe. Plus, healthy food sounds cuter than health food.

No comments: